Inclusion Ireland Easy-to-read guide to Making a complaint in residential services

  • A complaint is when you let someone know you are unhappy about something in your service.
  • Not all complaints are big complaints.
  • Some complaints can be solved by talking to a staff member.
  • When a complaint is bigger or is not solved by staff. You can make an official complaint.
  • This can be done by the HSE ‘Your service your say’ system.

To make a complaint you can get help from

  • A family member
  • A Friend
  • An Advocate

You can complain in a number of ways.

  • Tell a staff member or a complaint officer in your service.
  • Freephone 1800 424 555
  • +353 1 642 4555 from outside Ireland

Email the HSE at this address

Write a letter to any HSE office. You can get help with this from an advocate or family or staff member.

Within 5 days you should be told your complaint has been received.

The complaint should be addressed within 30 days bythe complaint officer. If it is not addressed, they will update you every 20 days.

If you are not happy with the result of the complaint you can contact Office of the Ombudsman by telephone: 1890 223 030 OR the Ombudsman for Children by telephone: 1800 20 20 40.

Other ways to complain

If the complaint is about abuse or welfare you can complain to the HSE Safeguarding team. They will investigate.

The National Safeguarding Office telephone number:
061 461 165

If the complaint involves possible abuse, neglect, or the welfare of a child you can contact TUSLA Telephone number: 01 771 8500

You can make HIQA aware of any issue. They do not investigate individual complaints, but they can include concerns in their inspections.

If you want to contact HIQA

HIQA telephone number: 021 240 9646

The HSE have appointed a Confidential Recipient for vulnerable persons. The confidential recipient can ask the HSE to fully investigate your complaint.

Confidential recipient
telephone: 1890 100 014

If the complaint involves a possible crime you should contact your local Garda Station.

Advocacy supports

An independent advocate can help you make your complaint. They will meet you and make sure your voice is heard.

The National Advocacy Service for people with disabilities.
Their number is 0761 07 3000

Sage is an advocacy service for older people. This includes people with disabilities. Their number is 1850 719 400

EPIC is an advocacy service for people under 18 living in residential care including children with disabilities. Their number is 01 872 7661

The document was proof-read by men and women with disability.

“© European Easy-to-Read Logo: Inclusion Europe. More information at”.

This document was developed as part of a project funded through the Dormant Accounts Fund.